Sunday, January 25, 2009

Camp Armour, Illinois Institute for Engineering Students

During the first half of the 1940s, at the request of the U. S. military services, Illinois Institute of Technology became an education center for both civilian and military personnel. In order to fill the need for engineers during World War II, high school seniors expedited their last year by attending a 3 month session at Camp Armour. Founded in 1923 but no longer in existence, Camp Armour was located on Trout Lake, Boulder Junction, Wisconsin. It was just north of the present park headquarters, on land leased from the state. During the 1940s, the Penn family served as directors.
My Dad attended the Camp in Summer, 1942. After vacationing in the Northwoods for 13 years, my husband and I bought property in Boulder Junction, Wisconsin. When I visited the Camp Armour site, the deer were peacefully nibbling grass in the dappled sunlight. I continued on down to Trout Lake and took photographs of the shoreline. When I sent them on to my Dad, he said it still looks the same. Here are his pictures from 1942 ( he is in the sailor cap) and my present photos for comparison. I think this will make a great art quilt.




Posted by PicasaContinue to the next blog.

1 comment:

megha said...

well this stuff really rocks. I love it.