Wednesday, December 10, 2008

HOW TO MAKE A QUILTED FABRIC POSTCARD

What to do with those wonderful scraps of fabric, trim, appliques? Turn them into a postcard! Send the postcard for birthdays, holidays, graduations. I have sent these to all parts of the country and they arrive in perfect condition. I guarantee this card won't be thrown away.

When choosing the size for your card, why not think about frame sizes? These will be cherished and will look great in a frame. Here is the easiest step by step instructions for a 4" X 6" postcard.

  1. Supplies: 4" X 6" quilted front fabric. I like to make it a little bigger and trim it later. 4" X 6" postcard back. I madke my postcard backs on microsoft word and print it on card stock for writing ease. 4" X 6" 2-sided iron-on Timtex, a heavy interfacing stabilizer. 24" trim. Invisible thread and overcast foot.~

2. Iron quilt front to one side of Timtex. ~

3. Iron the postcard back to other side of the Timtex . ~

4. Trim all sides using postcard back as guide. It is okay if the postcard is not exactly 4" X 6".

5. Using an overcast foot and invisible thread, sew trim to edge of card. ~

6. This is what the back of the card looks like. ~

7. This is the front of the card. ~
8. Put on a 27 cent stamp and make someone smile!~
Please comment and let me know if you have any questions. Love for you to fill out your reaction to these instructions.

Quilting Cafe, where something is always brewing



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to try these myself.

Calamity Jain said...

The instructions are great, clear, simple. I have not used Timtex but by telling us what it is, I can substite with something I might already have.
Thanks.
Calamity Jain