Sunday, October 26, 2008

NEW ADDITIONS TO AUNT RUTH'S STASH

I have just listed 8 new collections of vintage ribbon from my Aunt Ruth's Stash. Instead of just offering 5 shades of one color, I have collection of trios of matching and complimentary colors. quiltingcafe.etsy.com


For those of you who do not know the story of these vintage supplies, here it is:

My aunt is very special to me. She took care of me when I was young, listened to me when I was growing up, and gave me advice as an adult. “Auntie Ruthie” makes the best fried chicken and doll clothes. With a lovable smile and delightful laugh, I am lucky to have her as a hands-on aunt.

My 85-year-old Aunt Ruth is an incredible seamstress and quilter. She sewed the most incredible Barbie clothes for me as a child, great Dresden Plate quilt for my wedding, and a baby quilt for each of my 4 children.

Her daughters, my dear cousins, recently gave me her wonderful stash of fabrics and embellishments. I thought what better way to pass on her wonderful stash than by selling them in my etsy shop and donating the proceeds to Alzheimer's Research. The response has been incredible. Not only are the prices reasonable, but the quality of vintage fabrics can be far above today's offerings. And it is a great way to recycle, reuse, or repurpose her treasures. Those who buy appreciate her lifelong enthusiasm.

I have named here collection: Aunt Ruth's Stash. On the vintage ribbon cards is a picture of her taken in 1955 by my father. It is lit only by the light from the campfire. at the family farm. Proceeds from this sale have already benefitted the 2008 Memory Walk in Chicago. http://www.alz.org/memorywalk/ Ruth's grandaughter, Martha put together team to walk to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer research, as well as for care and support for people already affected by the disease. Future proceeds will benefit The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI)Raising Awareness & Funding Research Through Art www.AlzQuilts.org. The last picture is of her in the summer of 2007, at 85.

1 comment:

golnie said...

Dear Denise,
It was so kind of you to express the kind words about Aunt Ruth. I am sure she would be most happy to know that some of her material was giving joy to you as you are putting it to such beatiful use. Her sewing was close to her heart. Diane is trying to put together the close up of the farm for 11/9/08. Love you and the family

Uncle Francis